Sunday, June 12, 2011

What I've Learned from Postcards

I’m terrible at living in the moment. I’m always thinking about what’s next or dwelling on what just happened.
This year, I started a collection of postcards of all the incredible places I’ve been this year – they’re cheap, pretty, and keep with the whole “Postcards from Italy” theme of my year. However, my lack of spontaneity has hindered me in this hunt for these tiny paper mementos; I like to shop around, and am practically incapable of impulse buys (even something as cheap as a 50 cent postcard). I always think the next postcard stand will be better, or that there’s no way I can top the one before, and have walked away from many a town empty-handed and card-less. Maybe if I would have just gone a little slower, and truly lived in the present moment I’d have a lot more memories – and a lot more postcards to show for it.
I don’t have many regrets about this year, but there are several postcards that I’ll always be missing in my collection. Maybe one day they’ll find their way into my collection
Amalfi
Napoli
Sorrento
Capri
Sienna

No comments:

Post a Comment