Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Giving Thanks...the Italian Way

This year I really missed Thanksgiving - the parade, the food, and most off all - the family. It was a little sad getting up and going to school as usual on Thanksgiving - without any real fanfare or acknowledgement at all. All morning I tried not to think about how in a few hours, my family would be gathering around a table laden with cranberry sauce, various stuffing's, breads, and relishes, mashed potatoes, gravy, and of course, the turkey. When I finally slumped to the  restaurant for lunch, I was a little downcast, and ordered the first thing on the menu without really looking. I sat staring at the dreary gray day outside and trying to keep my thoughts from straying to images of beautiful pies and parade floats when my plate arrived. A lasagna made of spinach, salmon, and ricotta cheese with a side of thinly sliced raw prosciutto drizzled in a light buttery garlic sauce.The pink and green of the lasagna stood contrasted magnificently with the red of the salty prosciutto.  It was incredible, and I ate every last bit, scraping up the cheese and garlic sauce with my fork. It may not have been a turkey, and I may not have been gathered around a huge table with my entire family, but it was delicious, and more than enough to be thankful for. I know I'm missing the holidays with my family, but as long as I'm in Italy eating fabulous lasagnas, I have a lot to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment