Saturday, September 25, 2010

Life to the Fullest

The Italian language is filled with little surprises.
The word for life is “vita”, which can also mean “waist”. Surely this couldn’t be a coincidence, there had to be a correlation between the two….and I think I’ve found it.
Eating. And eating well. In Italy, a full life and a full waist are one in the same. I’m not saying all the happy people are fat, but you can tell when someone truly enjoys food; they have a sort of healthy, softness about them
Food here is poetry, and I’m become VERY well versed. After a tough day at school, instead of taking it out on a pint of Ben and Jerry’s, my cure is a light but satisfying portion of spaghetti with shrimp and lime sauce, or pasta with asparagus and prosciutto crudo, or a pizza Romano covered in succulent tomatoes and basil. It’s not that I’m an emotional eater…but now I try to eat WITH emotion. To really feel the food, and let it make me happy and satisfied. Happiness can’t be bought…..but gelato can.
Tiramisu in Italian means “little pick me up” (though I think it could also stand for miracle-working-therapist-cake). Everyone here knows it- food just makes you feel better, and you can’t let yourself ride the guilt train home after a hearty meal. Let the food make you feel better. Everything in moderation – including moderation itself.
So maybe one of the keys to a full life is a full stomach….and with that maybe a little fuller waist.

No comments:

Post a Comment