Monday, November 1, 2010

The Good, The Bad, and The Public Transportation

Today I set off for Como, to meet a friend and spend the day wandering the city streets. It was a beautiful day in Como, about fifty degrees with a light cool breeze coming off the Lake. We meandered through the old city streets, shopping, eating gelato and drinking capuccino's. Then we walked along the shore of the lake, enjoying the beautiful day.
Around six, it was time for me to head home. The only problem: I had no idea how.
I walked to the trainstation hoping to catch a train home. I bought a five euro train ticket - this seemed strange. It was only about a ten minute train ride, why did it cost five euros? The answer - I would have to take the train all the way to Milan, endure numerous transfers, and then back track all the way back to Cantu. This was bad. I abandoned this idea completely, as much as I hated the idea of wasting a five euro train ticket.
So I then walked to the bus station, and bought a bus ticket. Problem number 1) I had no idea where this bus would take me. Problem 2) I had no idea where to board the bus. So after a frantic sprint downtown, I managed to find the bus stop. The bus was then twenty minutes late due to a serious traffic problem just outside Como. When it finally arrived, I boarded the bus completely unsure of exactly where it was going to take me. I had plenty of time to brood over the situation however, because my bus was stuck in traffic for the next hour. I prayed that the bus would take me somewhere I knew.
One hour and several prayers later, the bus pulled up a familiar piazza, and relieved, I left the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment