Monday, September 20, 2010

High School without the Musical



Fayetteville Public schools has got NOTHING on Enrico Fermi Liceo Scientifico e Classico. I though public school in America was about as tough as it got.
I would be wrong.
A warning for those of you who have not been to Italy: the method they use to label the stories of a building is different. I learned this the hard way. The first floor is the ground floor, the second floor is their “Primo Piano”, and the third floor is their “Secondo Piano”, and so on. So you can understand how I might have been mistaken...silly me, looking for the third floor ON THE THIRD FLOOR.
Once I found my class…things got more complicated. If you haven’t had the pleasure of sitting through two straight hours of Italian philosophy, be warned it is not for the weak at heart. At this point my head was spinning, and then it was time for a little light calculus. And after that…Latin 4. So it’s not exactly a cakewalk. I do think however, that I have a leg up in English 4.
Italian Liceo’s are different from American high school. Firstly, there are the obvious differences like, you know, ITS ALL IN ITALIAN. Next, it’s not curtseyed up like American high schools. There aren’t posters of frolicking kittens with inspirational “You Can Do It!” phrases papering the walls, which are entirely a dull gray color reminiscent of a doctor’s office….or jail. There aren’t helpful maps or any signage to assist the lost American foreign-exchange student. If you know where you’re going, great. If not….tough. Benvenuti a Italia.
While not every teacher is exactly thrilled to have an exchange student in their midst, most are tickled to hear even the least bit of English. “It is like music to my ears!” said my English teacher.

Hmm.
Kinda reminds me about how I feel anytime I hear Italian.

No comments:

Post a Comment